Sunday, September 13, 2009

Black Opal Basil & Vanilla




Black Opal Basil & Vanilla Ice Cream~



2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half & half
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh black opal basil leaves (not packed)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and blend with an immersion blender until the sugar is dissolved and the basil is in little flecks. You can also use a food processor or blender.
2. Turn your ice cream maker on and pour the mixture into the machine.
3. Process until the ice cream is a firm soft-serve.
4. Pour into a container and freeze until firm.


My Conclusion~


I have to admit that I was a little worried about making basil ice cream. It just sounds so strange. I have a black opal basil growing in my garden so I decided to use that instead of the green sweet basil. I really like the result! The basil isn't too strong and the vanilla really balances it out. Smooth and creamy. The more I taste it the more that I like it.



Reviews~

Mr. Brown Chick: "I don't know. It's got an earthy, grassy taste. It's not bad."

Tween Chick: "It's creamy. It tastes like water."

Little Chick: "I like it. It's creamy and I taste the vanilla, and just a little bit of the basil."

Toddler Chick: It's ice cream, she loves it!

2 comments:

  1. I think I might try rosemary next... I LOVE rosemary... what could be bad about rosemary ice cream? Hmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete